The eternal struggle - sun protection & being a ginger kid

So here's the thing: the sun and I don't get along. I dislike everything about it, I burn, sweat and my skin resents most sun protecting products. That being said I really believe in protecting the skin from the sun especially when using acidic toners et.c. (such as Alpha H Liquid Gold) as they leave the skin more sensitive to UV rays. 

On this particular day I burned EVERYTHING - even my scalp
Since my skin is very sensitive I have a hard time finding a sun protection product that doesn't make it feel like shit. Many products either sting and irritare my skin or have a thick formula and give a greasy look. I tend to do better with physical sunscreens rather than chemical ones, let me know if you want me to elaborate more on the topic of chemical vs. physical sunscreens.


Without any further ado here are my top picks from the ones I've tried so far.

Mineral Fusion untinted mineral beauty balm SPF 30 

This product is according to the Mineral Fusion description supposed to be "skin-perfecting, hydrating, age-defying and protecting". It is formulated with 20% Zinc Oxide as a sunscreen agent and is fragrance, gluten and paraben free. 


My feelings on this one are mixed due to the many claims. As I've only tried the untinted version I can't speak for the Illuminating and Perfecting versions in regards to the skin-perfecting claim. The untinted version doesn't do much perfecting of the skin in my opinion, having said that I'm really not looking for that in my sunscreen.

 The other claim of being age-defying is hard to judge as well so I'm just going to touch on the hydrating and protecting aspects of the product. The hydrating part is just fine - in my experience it is neither drying nor hydrating which I think is due to the aloe vera base but if you have very dry skin this one is not for you. 


After letting the product sink in it doesn't look overly greasy and I experience no white film that physical sunscreens often leave. Keep in mind that if you have a darker complexion this may not be the case for you. The protection this product gives is really good with an SPF of 30 (given you apply the adequate amount) and as it is fragrance free it doesn't irritate my skin. 


Final verdict: a bog standard sunscreen that works if your skin is not very dry.


Active Ingredient : Zinc Oxide 20% Inactive Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Caprylic/ Capric Triglyceride, Sorbitan Stearate, Castor Oil, Polyglycerol-10 Laurate, Mineral-Peptide Blend (Magnesium Asparate, Zinc Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, and Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5), Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sun ower) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Rosa Canina (Rose) Flower Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin.




John Master Organics SPF 30 natural mineral sunscreen

The next sunscreen is my favorite of the bunch and I've repurchased it several times. The description on the website reads as follows: "This natural sunscreen combines titanium dioxide and zinc oxide to provide all-over skin protection", it is said to be bio-degenerable, reef friendly and is suppose to protect as well as "hydrate, moisturize and replenish the skin". It is organic, cruelty free, gluten free and does not contain nano particles. 


I find this to be the most comfortable to wear of the three, it is truly hydrating on the verge of being a bit greasy. I really love the packaging and that it has a pump - it looks a bit like old apothecary bottles. The ingredient list is really simple and short, for me this is a good sign as it minimizes the potential for irritants. There are no essential oils or fragrances and it contains jojoba oil (my number 2 favorite oil) and shea butter.


Apparently this won the Elle Green Stars Awards 2014 and was hailed for being "packed with good-for-you ingredients". I don't find this leaves a white cast on the skin but keep in mind my extreme paleness. There is no real scent to it which I really appreciate and it contains hyaluronic acid. 

Final verdict: top marks! 

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 7.5%, Zinc Oxide 5.0%Inactive Ingredients: Aqua (water), aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice,* capric caprylic triglycerides, ethyl hexyl palmitate, glyceryl stearate, glycerin, cetyl alcohol, jojoba oil,* shea butter,* panthenol, tocopherol acetate, allantoin, sodium pca, green tea extract,* magnesium aluminum silicate, hyaluronic acid, calendula extract,* ethyl hexyl glycerin, benzyl alcohol* Certified Organic





Medik8 Physical sunscreen broad spectrum physical SPF 30

This sunscreen from the much hyped brand Medik8 is somewhat new to me so I am still on the fence about it as I haven't decided if it is too drying for my skin type and if the scent is too off putting (I'm really weird about scents in products used on my face). I truly love Medik8 as a brand though, they make really nice products with well studied top-shelf ingredients. I've tried one of their vitamin C serums but sadly dropped the glass container on my bathroom floor (and it wasn't cheap).


This sunscreen is said to not only protect but also to sooth and calm the skin. From their website: "Rich in natural antioxidants and UV-absorbing substances, Physical Sunscreen helps protect the skin against free radicals, minimising premature ageing". It contains jojoba oil, candelilla oil, macadamia nut oil, honey suckle extract to name a few of the ingredients that I find interesting.


As well as the sun protecting Zink Oxide and Titanium Dioxide the Medik8 sunscreen contains other protecting agents: "Thiotaine is a natural antioxidant and amino acid, that prevents damage caused by UV radiation, recycles Vitamin C, assures efficient energy production, and minimises the appearance of pigmentation marks" and "Red Algae produces the most powerful UV-absorbing substances in nature, and the extract itself absorbs both UVA and UVB light." Just a note about Red Algae, according to many databases I found regarding ingredients effect on skin this and many other algae forms are highly comedogenic, meaning they will have a "pore clogging" effect which may be a concern for people who are sensitive and acne prone.

All in all, this seems like a good physical sunscreen but I can't help feeling a bit uneasy about some of the ingredients. I'll have to play around with it some more to really form my opinon on it - so stay tuned!

Final verdict: undecided. 


Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Zinc Oxide, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Candelilla/Jojoba/Rice Bran Polyglyceryl-3 Esters, Glycerin, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Ethyl Macadamiate, Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil, Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate, Glyceryl Stearate, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Water, Ergothioneine (L), Titanium Dioxide, Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Porphyra Umbilicalis (Red Algae) Extract, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Extract, Phellodendron Amurense Bark Extract, Glyceryl Isostearate, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentastearate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate (D-alpha), Tocopherol (D-alpha), Lecithin, Malic Acid (L), Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behenyl Alcohol, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Sodium Lactate, Phytic Acid, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide


What are your favorite sunscreens? Do you protect your skin at all?

4 kommentarer:

  1. Kan du tipsa om solskydd för fetare hy? Kanske några kemiska? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, det kan jag! Om du känner dig rik så kan du testa Zelens, den ska vara riktigt bra!
      Annars har du ju hela athelios-linjen från La Roche Posay, den har några för fetare hy! Säkerligen har fler franska apoteksmärken riktigt bra kemiska solskydd.
      Alternativt bör du titta på marknaden i Asien, där har de ca 1 miljon solskydd som är anpassade för fetare hy och som är kemiska. Mitt tips är att alltid köpa tester innan för att se om de funkar för dig!

      Delete
  2. Har du tips på hårprodukter som schampo, balsam mm för långt tjockt hår? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oj, långt och tjockt, vi sitter i samma båt! Har du färgat hår? Frissigt eller skadat? Hårgrejer är verkligen min akilleshäl, jag är inte sååå kunnig på detta område. Mitt tips är att sikta på ett sulfatfritt då det är rätt dåligt för hy och hår! Då jag färgat mitt hår har jag testat några olika, har haft schampo och balsam från märket L'Anza som jag verkligen gillade, och som gick att köpa i salongsstorlek med pump (uppskattas när en har väldigt mycket hår). Har även testat schampo och balsam från Loreal Everpure vilket var helt okej och billigt och nu ett från Pureology som jag inte alls tycker lika mycket om. Gillar även hårmasken 3 minute miracle från Aussie som går att hitta lite överallt, ibland på Rusta?! Har du några bra att tipsa om?

      Delete

 

Instagram